Europa #435 G-RODO (formerly G-ROWI) - Building hours


index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind

Navigation & Acknowledgements

3 graphs on this page - scroll down to see the rest

Here is the sobering illustration of my time spent building Europa kit 435 G-RODO (originally registered G-ROWI), plotted as accumulated hours against calendar years. This is time spent on actual aeroplane building as logged by the timer in the garage. It does not include time spent just thinking about it, setting up the workshop, working on the trailer, etc, etc. Note the lack of progress during 2005 to 2007 when I suffered a suspension of my flight medical because of visual disturbances, followed, when that cleared up, by a period of intense computer work to develop an online credit-card subscription facility for The Europa Club. The trouble I was initially having in getting the gel-coat finish on the rudder to an acceptable standard was quite discouraging too.

accumulated hours by date


As a different way of looking at it, here's a plot of the hours I have spent each week on the build. Alas, I have never achieved the 40 hours per week I once thought I might manage - I haven't been ruthless enough to treat it like a paid job where I have to put in 8 hours every day, Monday to Friday! Here you can see, in addition to the 2005-2007 hiatus, how I didn't put in such regular time on the build during 2010 and 2011 when Dorothy & I were getting married and doing house re-modelling. In the latter part of 2012 we spent several weeks in Australia. Also, around then I spent some time at the computer documenting the electrical system, and that was not logged on the garage timer.

hours per week by date


In April 2013 I decided that if I am to have any useful part of my life left to fly this aeroplane, I should have it in the air by the time I'm 70 (ie June 2015). At that time, I reckoned I had about another 1000 hours of work left to do. Spread over a couple of years, that would be less than 10 hours per week or 2 hours per week-day - which doesn't sound very ambitious! However, the graph below shows that I'm somehow not achieving even that modest amount of work. I have missed the June 2015 deadline, by quite a bit, it appears - and my estimate of 2400 hours to finish the entire project is looking very optimistic too. However, work continues and I know it will be finished eventually.

recent hours per week by date


I originally used Excel to produce this type of graph from a FileMaker Pro text export, but now I use the same text export in DataGraph by Visual Data Tools as it allows easier construction of a wider range of graphs. The graphics on this page are normally updated each month, when I add new journal pages.

Return to Rowland's home page listgo to list of text pages list tickgo to list of milestones tick
notepadgo to start of narrative notepad

This page last updated 2017-04-02, 20:10. I try to make this page as accessible as possible, by adhering to HTML 4 standards. Valid HTML 4.01! Valid CSS!
I welcome comments on this website. However, because of the amount of spam it attracts, I no longer post a direct e-mail address on any page. Instead, please click here to contact me. You will have to confirm that you are human before the message will be sent on to me.